John Addenbrooke, M.D. – A native of Staffordshire, was educated at Catherine hall, Cambridge, of which house he was a fellow. He proceeded A.B. 1701; A.M. 1705; and on the 3rd September, 1706, was admitted an Extra-Licentiate of the College of Physicians, being represented as then of West Bromwich, in his native county. He graduated M.D. at Cambridge in 1712, and would seem to have practised his faculty for some years at Cambridge; but of his professional career little is known. He died on the 7th June, 1719, aged thirty-nine; and by his will bequeathed about four thousand pounds "to erect and maintain a small physical hospital" at Cambridge, now known as Addenbrooke’s hospital. The sum left by Dr. Addenbrooke being found insufficient for its support, an Act of Parliament was obtained in the year 1766, for making it a general hospital; and in October of the same year it was opened for the reception of patients, since which it has been chiefly supported by voluntary contributions. It was, however, further endowed in 1813 by Mr. John Bowtell, a bookseller and stationer in Cambridge, who bequeathed to the institution 7,000l. Three per cent. consolidated bank annuities, a portion of which was appropriated to the addition of two wings. Dr. Addenbrooke is commemorated by the following inscription in the chapel of Catherine hall:—
Johannis Addenbrooke, M.D.
de Swinford Regis in Comitatu Staffordiæ,
hujus Collegii olim Socii.
Obiit 7mo die Junii An° Dom: 1719. Æt: 39.