Vacancies for events volunteers
We are currently looking for new event volunteers to support our upcoming programme of events this year.
Time commitment: Ongoing, flexible, mixture of daytime and evening activities
Founded over 500 years ago in 1518 by a Royal Charter from King Henry VIII, the Royal College of Physicians (RCP) is England's oldest medical college. Today, the RCP continues to play a vital role in raising medical standards and shaping public health. The history of medicine is the history of life and death, our museum’s mission is to engage, inspire and entertain people with that history and the importance of physicians within it. We work to achieve our mission through caring for and adding to our fantastic collections and an exciting programme of exhibitions and events.
The events volunteer team supports the museum’s public programme ‘front of house’ at events including talks, exhibition launches, Lates and special events. The programme is designed for the museum’s diverse audiences, covering history, art, architecture and the medicinal garden. The RCP also takes part in annual events including Open House London and the London Festival of Architecture. This year with the support of the Art Fund we are trialling a range of hybrid events – both in person and virtual at the same time - as part of our programme.
We welcome friendly and enthusiastic people to the events volunteer team. Previous experience is not necessary, and no specific knowledge is required, although a passion for history, museums or medicine is encouraged. Training will be offered to all new volunteers to familiarise them with the RCP building, museum collections, current exhibition, safety measures and how events run. Volunteers must minimum of three months and volunteer at least once per quarter.
What will you be doing?
Events volunteers will get involved in a wide range of activities including:
- welcoming and registering guests at museum events
- providing information about the museum collections and the public events programme
- invigilating the exhibition and museum spaces to ensure the safety of collections on display
- selling merchandise
- assisting with Q&A sessions at events
- distributing audience feedback forms
- supporting delivery of our hybrid event activities
What do we offer?
- training in the activities you will be doing
- travel costs cover
- training opportunities in other relevant areas
- free refreshments while volunteering
- on-site use of the RCP libraries
- free tickets for RCP events
- opportunity to attend AMS (Archive and Museum Services) department external visits and training
- Advice and support relating to working in the heritage sector, including CV advice.
How to apply
Please download and complete this application form and return it to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on an on-going basis. Following receipt of your form we will arrange an informal interview with successful applicants.