Our archives, library and museum teams benefit greatly from the work of volunteers and always welcome enquiries from the public. As a volunteer you will be able to contribute in the following ways:
The library hosts volunteers on placement as part of university MA courses in librarianship, usually working with the rare books and special collections librarian. Short-term ‘work-shadowing’ placements of one or a few days can also sometimes be arranged with the rare books and special collections librarian.
Both the RCP archive and museum services benefit greatly from the work of volunteers and welcome enquiries about volunteering. We particularly welcome enquiries from those considering a career or postgraduate qualification in archives and records management or in museum or heritage studies (no experience necessary). If you are interested in volunteering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that due to limited staff resources, we are not always in a position to take on additional volunteers.
The Museum volunteer team supports the public programme ‘front of house’ at events including talks, exhibition launches, Lates and special events. The programme is designed for the museum’s diverse audience, covering history, art, architecture and the medicinal garden. The RCP also takes part in annual events including Open House London, Open Garden Squares and the London Festival of Architecture.
We add friendly and enthusiastic people to the volunteer team on a rolling basis. A passion for history, museums or medicine would be an advantage; previous experience of volunteering in a front of house or visitor experience capacity would be beneficial but is not essential. Knowledge of medicine or the RCP is not required. Training will be offered to all new volunteers to familiarise them with the RCP building and museum collections.
What you will be doing
• welcoming and registering guests at museum events
• providing information about the museum collections and the public events programme
• invigilating the exhibition and museum spaces ensuring the safety of collections on display
• selling merchandise
• assisting with Q&A sessions at events
• distributing multimedia guides to visitors
• distributing audience feedback forms.
The role includes volunteering at evening and occasional weekend events, all at the RCP’s main HQ in Regent’s Park. Travel expenses within London zones 1-2 will be reimbursed. Successful applicants are expected to volunteer at one event per month, for a minimum of 3 months.
What we can offer you
• free refreshments while volunteering
• free lunch (if working 6 hours or more)
• on-site use of the RCP libraries
• free tickets for RCP events
• opportunity to attend LAMS (Library, Archive and Museum Services) department external visits
• training opportunities in relevant fields
• CV advice and support.