Born in London and left an orphan at an early age, Montague Murray was brought up by two women unrelated to him. He was sent to Camden House, Brighton, for his schooling, and from there went on first to the Sussex County Hospital, and then University College, London, for his medical training. He qualified in 1880 and was awarded the Fellowes gold medal. From house appointments at University College Hospital he proceeded to a registrar-ship at Charing Cross Hospital, where in 1884 he was elected assistant physician and in 1902 full physician. He lectured at Charing Cross on practical medicine (1885-95), pathology (1888-1900), and medicine (1901-07), and was dean of the Medical School from 1901 to 1905. Murray also belonged to the staffs of the Victoria Hospital for Children, after 1889, and the Foundling Hospital. He edited the eighth and ninth editions of T. H. Green’s Introduction to Pathology and Morbid Anatomy (1895 and 1900) and the third edition of Quain’s Dictionary of Medicine (1902). He examined in medicine for London University and the Conjoint Board. Murray enjoyed taking his holidays abroad, although he was of delicate constitution, and he exhibited photographs at the Alpine Club. A deeply religious man, he was a staunch supporter of the King’s Weighhouse Congregational Church. He was twice married: firstly, in 1887, to Florence, daughter of John Matthew Voss, by whom he had a son, and secondly, in 1903, to Winifred, daughter of Edward Pearl, by whom he had a daughter.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1907; B.M.J., 1907]