Timeline

Thumbnail

The College moves to a fourth home

Over time, districts in London become more or less fashionable. In the 17th century, Warwick Lane is in a desirable and central place. However, by the 19th century the College is in the ‘wrong’ part of the capital. The College moves to Pall Mall East to once again be in a central and desirable location.

Thumbnail

The College inspects the apothecaries one last time

Since the 17th century, the College’s authority over other areas of medical practice has been slowly receding as new professions establish themselves. Ancient authority is becoming obsolete and the medical acts of the 1850s are creating a new regulatory framework. In this year, the last-ever College visitation of apothecaries’ shops takes place, breaking a tradition that stretches back to 1724.

Thumbnail

The College loses a regulatory role

The Medical Act creates the General Medical Council (GMC), which is now the regulator for the whole medical profession, taking over regulatory roles from many of the traditional medical institutions. The GMC also takes over the pharmacopoeia, previously published by the College. From now on, the GMC publishes the list of approved drugs for use in medicines across England.

Thumbnail

The College remembers past members

William Munk, the Harveian librarian, researches and writes a brief biography for every physician licensed by, or made a fellow of, the College from 1518–1825. Known as 'Munk's Roll', it is published by the College in three volumes, with the first being published in this year.

Thumbnail

Latin statutes are replaced by English bye-laws

The rules and regulations of the College are published in English. Called bye-laws, they replace the Latin statuta (statutes). There is an attempt to produce English statutes in the 1690s; however, this is reversed and Latin continues to be used until now.

Thumbnail

Women are excluded by the College

Elizabeth Garrett attempts to take the College examination, in order to qualify as a medical doctor. Legal advice confirms that the language of the charter and bye-laws denies women taking exams or being qualified by the College. As a result, Garrett is turned away and debate on this issue continues into the next century.

Thumbnail

The College publishes the definitive classification of diseases

The College publishes the Nomenclature, which lists English terms for diseases alongside their Latin, French, German and Italian equivalents. Some 20,000 copies are distributed to medical practices in the UK at the government’s expense. This remains the standard until the 1960 publication of the World Health Organization’s Manual of the international statistical classification of diseases, injuries and causes of death.

The College starts to include women

After decades of discussion, a majority decision by the College’s official committee (Comitia) alters the bye-laws, allowing women to sit exams and be licensed. Ivy Woodward (Mrs Haslam) is the first woman to pass the membership exam in this year, shortly followed by Miss Dossibhai Patell as the first female licentiate in 1910.

Thumbnail

Women get more opportunities at the College

Comitia changes the bye-laws again. Women can now be invited to become fellows (voting members). However, it is not until 1934 that the first female fellow, Helen Mackayis elected.

Thumbnail

Bombs damage the College

In October and November, the College building on Pall Mall East is damaged by bombs, with the library structure absorbing most of the impact.