Raymond Horace Andrews, known as ‘Ray’, was a consultant chest physician at the Royal Sea Bathing Hospital, Margate. He was born in Luton, Bedfordshire, the son of Frank John Andrews, a hat manufacturer, and Daisy Bertha Andrews née Horwood, the daughter of an engineer. He was educated at Bedford School and then studied medicine at St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical School. He qualified with his MB BS in 1941.
He was a house physician at St Bartholomew’s and then, in 1943, joined the RAMC. He was in charge of a field transfusion unit for the North Western Expeditionary Force and was then a graded physician for the British Army of the Rhine.
Following his demobilisation, he was a medical registrar at St Bartholomew’s and subsequently at the Seamen’s Hospital, Greenwich, and the Brompton Hospital. From 1950 to 1952 he was deputy medical superintendent at Tehidy Chest Hospital, Cornwall. He was then appointed as a consultant chest physician to the Thanet and south east Kent areas. From 1956 to 1959 he was seconded to the World Health Organization as a medical officer at the Tuberculosis Chemotherapy Centre, Madras, India.
He was the joint author of various papers on the treatment of tuberculosis.
Outside medicine he enjoyed sailing, walking and gardening.
In 1946, he married Noreen Laura Plowden Andrews née Thunder, the daughter of a mining engineer. They had three sons (Anthony, John and Mark) and a daughter (Marilyn).