Hyla Greves was born at Bromsgrove and educated at Shrewsbury. He studied medicine in Edinburgh and at Guy’s Hospital, winning the Beaney prize of the latter in 1879 and graduating as M.B, C.M, in the same year, afterwards serving as a house surgeon in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Intending to make his career in Liverpool, he next obtained resident appointments in the Liverpool Royal Infirmary and became a demonstrator in its School of Medicine and physician to the Liverpool Infirmary for Children. But threatened pulmonary tuberculosis compelled his removal after a few years to Bournemouth, and it was there that he established himself as a highly successful consultant, with a practice extending over four counties. He was physician to the Royal National Sanatorium, the Dorset County Asylum and local hospitals, as well as referee to the National Hospital for Consumption at Ventnor. He remained in active practice to the end of his life. Greves was married and had one son and three daughters.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1932; B.M.J., 1932]