Anthony Charles Blandy was born in Nottingham and, except for a brief period as surgeon lieutenant commander in the RNVR during the second world war, he served his home county all his life. His father, Wilfred Boothby Blandy, was a general practitioner in Nottingham and his mother, Ethel, was the daughter of a publisher, Charles William Redin. Anthony was educated at Grosvenor School, Nottingham, and Wellington College. From Wellington, he went up to Christ’s College, Cambridge, and undertook his clinical training at the London Hospital.
After several house posts at the London, he joined the RNVR in May 1940, and served throughout the war. On demobilization, he returned to the London Hospital as supernumerary registrar in the children’s department. As early as 1939, while a house physician in the children’s department at the London, he had become especially interested in paediatrics, and in 1950 he returned to Nottingham to take up an appointment as consultant paediatrician to Nottingham Children’s, Mansfield General, and Newark Hospitals. He was also appointed consultant paediatrician to Notts County Infant Welfare and School Services.
From 1958 to 1964, Blandy served on the management committee of Mansfield Hospital, and on the management committee of the Nottingham No 2 Hospital from 1965 to 1970. He was president of the Nottingham Division of the BM A in 1966, a member of council from 1965 to 1970, and a member of council, Nottingham Medical Chirurgical Society, from 1960 to 1965.
He married Catherine Annie, daughter of John Watson Brown, a colliery sales manager, in 1940, and they had two children; a son and a daughter. Anthony Blandy had few interests outside his work and his family, and he devoted much of his spare time to serving the Mansfield Hospital, and Notts Children’s Hospital, in an administrative and teaching capacity; he was clinical tutor at the latter for some five years.
Sir Gordon Wolstenholme