As the college grew, so too did its need for a larger headquarters.
The college lacked a wealthy benefactor in the early 1600s, so purchasing a new headquarters for the growing college was out of the question. Instead, the college leased a large house from the church authorities at Amen corner in 1614. The college was only a stone's throw away from its original location and remained close to St Paul’s cathedral.
Amen corner was a large site, with a three storey house, a courtyard, stables with rooms above, a hayloft, a buttery and a yard with a wash house and a garden. The ground floor of the house had a study, reading room and parlour while the first floor held eight chambers, a study and a garret. The second floor had two chambers and two little study rooms.
During the Civil war, the college’s tenancy was threatened when parliamentary forces confiscated all of St Paul’s church property. However, wealthy fellow Baldwin Hamey purchased the lease on behalf of the college. Another wealthy fellow, William Harvey would go on to pay for a library and museum designed in a beautiful classical style.